Welcome to the second episode of Season 4: Rap News 32 – MSMBS News: BlackLivesMatter, helmed by the veteran anchor, and Iraq War Hero, Brian Washington. Today we seek to understand the cause of the tension which has gripped the Police States of America following the seemingly unstoppable deaths of black people at the hands of Officers of the Piece. What is the cause of these #BlackLivesMatters hastags and the protests erupting around the country? What is this ‘R-‘ word that everyone keeps bandying about…? What about that ‘history’ thing? Featuring newly installed Chief of Militarised Police, General Baxter, and a guest from the ‘Civil Rights’ movement, one Marvin Uggenrite, join indefatigable warrior for truth, Brian Washington, as he attempts to get to the bottom of this… or scrape the bottom of the barrel trying. For the first time ever Juice Rap News tunes into the Main Stream Media BS frequency for an entire episode… what could possibly go wrong?
Written & created by Giordano Nanni & Hugo Farrant in a suburban backyard home studio in Melbourne, Australia, on Wurundjeri Land.
☛ IMPORTANT READING:
* “A Herstory of the #BlackLivesMatter Movement” by Alicia Garza. This is essential reading, by one of the founders of the #BlackLivesMatter movement
* “Wolf Blitzer interviews Deray McKesson about violence in Baltimore“. This inspired much of our episode as well as the character of Marv Uggenrite:
* Beat 1: ‘Blue Stone’ by Immex
* Beat 2: ‘The Cypher’ by The Cratez
* All animations and background art created by Jonas Schweizer (aka Kookybone)
* Marvin Uggenrite performed, rapped and co-written by Mac
* Brian Washington performed by Giordano with vox by Hugo
* General Baxter performed and rapped by Hugo
* “BeingWhite” ad – voice by Lucy Cahill
* Special thanks to Emily Kadangawa in Hawai’i for invaluable feedback on the script
* Thanks to Ben Erwin in NYC for discussions about police brutality and for the NYPD mug
* Thanks to Zoe Tame for designing Baxter’s Police States emblem
* Captions sync’d by Koolfy from http://nurpa.be
* Syncing and keying assistance by Ellen Burbidge
* Police costume from Rose Chong costumiers
* Video and music edited by Giordano.
☛ JOIN our Mailing List to stay up to date with new videos